Onda Forum
Gearbest Xiaomi Smartest Bestsellers promotion
Xiaomi Smartest Bestsellers
rotaglide

Boot from SD-Card or flash a ROM with PhonixCard

Very nice! This will make it a lot easier for me to test around with an own custom ROM without flashing the tablet every time. Rep

I think I like it already. Have to score another sd-card because I don't wanna backup my 32gb card everytime.

b.t.w.: nice tutorial.

+1 for you

cheers rotaglide, but failed at the first hurdle.

I got 2 different Kingston  micro sd cards 8gb and 32gb it wont format neither.

But my widows 7 laptop formats them . trouble is phonix card exe requires to format befor it continues .

Any suggestions ? thanks

error 1047 if that helps

it was internal card  reader 32gb  and card adaptor for my laptop.

I gave that up and tried the onda suite but again had problems it installed to 100% then froze

grrr

I then tried phoenixcard which first updated itself , then I struggled a bit with drivers but a few times disconnecting usb on/off button holding vol button etc etc,

managed finally to UNBRICK my v989 tablet phew.

eventually installed the latest I think , v989 core v8 v2.0.2_v4.

now im back to square one with all the Chinese apps etc a lot that are of no use but now dare not delete any for fear of bricking again lol.

at least im up and running again and will have to wait for an image purely aimed for the British . eg no foreign app names and writing in the unit itself .

Big Thanks mate lesson learnt  

Ahem, unfortunatly I always have problems to understand people from Yorkshire, I recognize this all the time when I leave the train station in York :D , it takes a day or two until I understand everything at the first time.

No, honestly now, I don't understand why you are struggeling with drivers when you use PhoenixCard, because you don't need any drivers.

OndaSuite stops at 100%, you only have to disconnect (not wait too long, otherwise it starts flashing again) and then the tablet should boot by its own.

You can remove the bloatware (everything with chinese letters) with Titanium backup after installation or remove it before flashing with Dragonface (HowTo is in the Howto-section).

Allwinner devices are not brickable, because you have the option to boot and flash from SD-Card.^

I used to use This to update my old Android TV box and just didn't know it was compatible with this.

But at least now I can finally update because my PC just flat out refuses to connect to my V989 through the PC suite no matter what I've tried.

I used to use This to update my old Android TV box and just didn't know it was compatible with this.

But at least now I can finally update because my PC just flat out refuses to connect to my V989 through the PC suite no matter what I've tried.

Have you tried Phoenix Suite? I had an issue today that my tablet would not boot up or connect using OndaSuite but it worked perfectly and was detected with Phoenix Suite.

Have you tried Phoenix Suite? I had an issue today that my tablet would not boot up or connect using OndaSuite but it worked perfectly and was detected with Phoenix Suite.

Phoenix Suite won't recognise it either, I tried in MS, MTP & PTP modes and the computer installs the driver but Phoenix doesn't show anything connected.

It's probably some driver conflict with something from other Android related software but I'm not that worried and just see If I can get Phoenix Suite working on my Teclast X89 Windows tablet when it arrives.

First I created a bootable sd-card containing V989 Core8_v5.0_v4-test Firmware, put it

in the v989 and everything went well. It was a bit laggy, but the sd-card was class 4 zo maybe that

is the reason.

Second I created a sd-card for flashing and I flashed V989 Core8_v5.0_v4-test cwm.img from

little_dragon_JJ and again everything went well.

I Like this way of flashing very mutch, I think it's easy and fast.

Thank you very mutch for this nice way of flashing and the easy way off trying out a new firmware.

+1 up for you.

I tried putting the V5.0 test firmware as a bootable SD but when tablet starts it's just stuck on the screen saying "Allwinner  Powered by Android"

I left it for about 30 minutes because it says first boot can take up to 8 minutes.

I know People say This firmware works in the V3 but has Anyone tried this?

Thanks rotaglide for these instructions.

Yesterday I did it this way and everything went allright. I updated my V4-Version to Lollipop with phoenix. It was easy and quick. The tablet now runs faster and smoother. :)

Greetings from Germany,

Marc

Thanks rotaglide for these instructions.

Yesterday I did it this way and everything went allright. I updated my V4-Version to Lollipop with phoenix. It was easy and quick. The tablet now runs faster and smoother. :)

Greetings from Germany,

Marc

Welcome to the forums!

Interestingly, I got an error two straight times reformated the card. Tried again and burn success...

Rebooting Now????????????? You have to be patient before all the items get loaded. Had a blank screen and panicked; restarted and waited and it works GREAT.

Is there a facility to backup existing firmware before proceeding.

I have Onda v989 air. I'm not sure if I need v1,2,3,4? My firmware just says v1.0.0 with no mention of a version at the end. OTA updates don't work.  

I'm tempted to try v1 as it makes sense you wouldn't need to name the first one?? (could be a dangerous assumption if the Chinese think different) But I want to make a backup first if possible. 

Is the "air" important?