Onda Forum
Gearbest $111 OFF Over $111.11  promotion
$111 OFF Over $111.11
snyperr

"NEW" V989 Air (Allwinner A83T) - Temp Sub Forum - How To's v989 Air

This is temporary until we open a new section just for the new V989 Air ( Allwinner A83T Octa Core Tablet) which is the newer and different version of the previous V989 A80T Octa Core Tablet.

Anyone help me flash a custom ROM to my V989 AIR? drivers won't install properly with ondasuit and install from flashcard gives me "bad footer" messages. I have root but hate the firmware. Help please?

Thanks. I was trying to install older v989(not air) roms and it wasn't working for obvious reasons. Could have saved myself a lot of time by asking someone like you sooner :) thanks much!!

Hi,

I've just received my first Onda v989 Air and I love it! 
But I don't like the stock rom and all the chinese apps that comes with it. I'm trying to do something similar to this 
so that I will get a clean tablet with nova launcher. I'm finding it hard to understand what exactly I need to do and I'm having trouble to detect the device in phoenixsuit.

Can someone please help me out on what I need to do

Regards

I was in the exact same boat as you. First I had to put it in airplane mode and switch back on the wifi to get it to stop futily searching for 4g signal and draining battery. then I rooted and used a tool like root uninstall to get rid of any chinese bloatware. Then installed the Nova launcher. perfect fix. still the firmware sucks. no fix for that yet.

I am going to flsh the new update that Snyperr shared with me(after backup) then restore my apps and settings. hoping I don't have to re-root etc...

I forgot how I rooted my 989 air before but was successful with the very quick and very easy method for the V989(not air) from the link in this thread from Phil90...

I was in the exact same boat as you. First I had to put it in airplane mode and switch back on the wifi to get it to stop futily searching for 4g signal and draining battery. then I rooted and used a tool like root uninstall to get rid of any chinese bloatware. Then installed the Nova launcher. perfect fix. still the firmware sucks. no fix for that yet.

I am going to flsh the new update that Snyperr shared with me(after backup) then restore my apps and settings. hoping I don't have to re-root etc...

Thanks for your reply. So the link that I posted doesn't work for the v989 air? but the rooting works that you linked? And then I have to manually uninstall all the apps?

Good Afternoon, everyone

This is my first post so please be gentle. I just received my Onda v989 Air and this is what I have done to relieve some of the deficiencies.

1) Change to English

2) Go into settings > Language&Input > mouse/trackpad > pointer speed > set it to lowest setting, helps reduce some of the latency

3) Root the device with Kingoroot

4) Remove as much Chinese bloatware as I could find (still tweaking)

5) Installed Superuser and Busybox

6) Installed a couple of android tweaking apps(see play store)

7 The cpu min is set to 480 MHz the max to 1.6 GHz, I changed to 1 GHz min and the max 1.8 GHz it got rid of more latency(still experimenting with governance)

8) Disabled > com.android.phone and com.android.providers.telephony and a Chinese app that controls 3/4 G its a little blue phone(Mobile Network Configuration and Mobile Data) This reduced the cell standby usage from 61% to 0% after I flushed the battery bin file. Now my largest power usage is the Android system at 43%( working on this )

9) Installed 360 Security to help with flushing the caches and anti virus

10) Still tweaking !!!! :D

I hope this helps with some of the issues.

Do you update the firmware to 1.0.1? if it is, could you tell how to update perfectly? thanks

Do you updated the firmware to 1.0.1? if it is, could you tell how to update perfectly? thanks

thanks purplegerbil,   Nice list. Kingroot has been known to have malware issues. I didn't realize the mouse pointer speed could improve touch functions so well. thanks!

Good Afternoon, everyone

This is my first post so please be gentle. I just received my Onda v989 Air and this is what I have done to relieve some of the deficiencies.

1) Change to English

2) Go into settings > Language&Input > mouse/trackpad > pointer speed > set it to lowest setting, helps reduce some of the latency

7 The cpu min is set to 480 MHz the max to 1.6 GHz, I changed to 1 GHz min and the max 1.8 GHz it got rid of more latency(still  experimenting with governance)

8) Disabled > com.android.phone and com.android.providers.telephony and a Chinese app that controls 3/4 G its a little blue phone(Mobile Network Configuration and Mobile Data) This reduced the cell standby usage from 61% to 0% after I flushed the battery bin file. Now my largest power usage is the Android system at 43%( working on this )

Seems that with the 1.0.5 firmware and following your steps the performance improves a lot.

Thanks for your tips and hope you find something more :D

By the way, to update the firmware just follow the guide provided by Dioklecian:

The 1.0.5 firmware is here: 

To put the tablet in Debug mode follow this steps:

1.- Shutdown the tablet.

2.- Plug in the usb cable to the tablet but not to the computer.

3.- Press the volume down button and don't release it, while pressing it plug the usb cable to the computer (the computer didn't recognize the tablet here, to solve it i started to press the power button intermittently while continue pressing the volume down button and it recognized the tablet)

4.- The program will pop up a new window and start to flash the tablet.

This update has impoved a lot the touch panel for me, now it won't lose the "clicks" of my finger.

Hope it helps for you :)

• Upvote 1

Good Afternoon, everyone

1) Change to English

7 The cpu min is set to 480 MHz the max to 1.6 GHz, I changed to 1 GHz min and the max 1.8 GHz it got rid of more latency(still  experimenting with governance)

8) Disabled > com.android.phone and com.android.providers.telephony and a Chinese app that controls 3/4 G its a little blue phone(Mobile Network Configuration and Mobile Data) This reduced the cell standby usage from 61% to 0% after I flushed the battery bin file. Now my largest power usage is the Android system at 43%( working on this )

Could you explain better this procedure? Im new in the android world, always used windows phone. Please help me :-)

Good Afternoon, everyone

1) Change to English

What about battery draining? Dο you see any improvement?

i have changed the lcd density from 320 to 300 and the minimum brightness from 100 to 20 and the battery draining decreased slightly. Any suggestions?

• Upvote 1

No I've rooted with KingoRoot with the 1.05 firmware.

go into setting---> developer options  on the tablet and make sure USB debugging is on. Also when you connect the tablet to the PC also make sure you turn on USB storage. Once you do this you PC will see the tablet and hence the KingoRoot software will!

• Upvote 1

No I've rooted with KingoRoot with the 1.05 firmware.

go into setting---> developer options  on the tablet and make sure USB debugging is on. Also when you connect the tablet to the PC also make sure you turn on USB storage. Once you do this you PC will see the tablet and hence the KingoRoot software will!

Welcome to the Forums! ;)