Onda Forum
  • Announcements

• Krzysiek

Blackview S8 4G Phablet   10/19/2017

Blackview S8 4G Phablet 5.7 inch Android 7.0 MTK6750V 1.5GHz Octa Core 4GB RAM 64GB ROM 8.0MP + 0.3MP Dual Front Cameras Touch Sensor
      ● Display: 5.7 inch, 1440 x 720 Pixel screen
      ● CPU: MTK6750V 1.5GHz Octa Core
      ● System: Android 7.0
      ● RAM + ROM: 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM
      ● Camera: 8.0MP ( SW 13.0MP ) + 0.3MP front cameras + 13.0MP + 0.3MP back cameras
      ● Sensor: Ambient Light Sensor, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor
      ● SIM Card: dual SIM dual standby. 1 Micro SIM card + 1 Nano SIM card
      ● Feature: GPS
      ● Bluetooth: 4.0
      ● Network:
      2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
      3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz
      4G: FDD-LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz Check it here.

Until now there is no git. I'm waiting for the test results and then get in contact with XDA.

I'll also first have to tidy up my device tree. I could upload the tree and the theme here then.

But first let's see some results...

• Upvote 2

I have been away for a week or so due to the ever changes of this forum, they were starting to grate on me. Now though it seems the changes are stable.

In regards to your thread

If and its a bif IF but if this does indeed work and allows the v975m user to flash ROMS without the worry of bricking due to this recovery and your hard work, then, by all means go ahead and post a donation signature as I for one will be honoured to buy you a beer.

I look forward to seeing how this pans out on XDA

21 downloads until now and no one has any opinion?

There is no reason to be afraid! Are you all cowards???

I showed a safe testing method. If you follow it, there is no reason to be afraid as only the TWRP config file is stored on the tab and nothing else on the tab is modified, deleted or wiped or installed.

But - !!! - do not restore or install or flash the recovery! This is not tested yet.

Choose the External SDCard as target for the recovery files - it's selectable in the backup menu.

What I want to know is:

• Does it run on the V3 too?
  • As I've never seen a life TWRP before - does it look as usual?
  • Are the menus ok? Is there any mess in the menus I didn't see?
  • Do all necessary volumes get mounted and are selectable for backup or did I miss important data/partitions/volumes?
  • Copy the resulting wim files  to your desktop, unpack and analyze them. Do they contain your data? Do structure and data look valid?
  • Any other information I did not think of until now?

Come on ladies - let's get forward!

21 downloads until now and no one has any opinion?

There is no reason to be afraid! Are you all cowards???

I showed a safe testing method. If you follow it, there is no reason to be afraid as only the TWRP config file is stored on the tab and nothing else on the tab is modified, deleted or wiped or installed.

But - !!! - do not restore or install or flash the recovery! This is not tested yet.

Choose the External SDCard as target for the recovery files - it's selectable in the backup menu.

What I want to know is:

• Does it run on the V3 too?
  • As I've never seen a life TWRP before - does it look as usual?
  • Are the menus ok? Is there any mess in the menus I didn't see?
  • Do all necessary volumes get mounted and are selectable for backup or did I miss important data/partitions/volumes?
  • Copy the resulting wim files  to your desktop, unpack and analyze them. Do they contain your data? Do structure and data look valid?
  • Any other information I did not think of until now?

Come on ladies - let's get forward!

I think it is better to test it first on V1 if it is ok one user of V3 can test it too, because you have tested it only on V1, also other V1 user have to confirm it, then users of V3.

That is what I think.

I'm completely new to Android and I'm not sure if all necessary partitions are mounted, backed up and restored.

don't kill me if it bricks your tabs.

Whilst I appreciate everything you are doing. I for one am reluctant to try any form of recovery flash which does not have XDA backing. That said your time and effort is invaluable. Thanks.   

??????????????

As nobody seems to understand what this test is indended to do let me draw some comparisons:

For the people in my age (+50):

Imagine you have a bootable 5.25" MSDOS floppy (Ext. SDCard).

You insert it into your brand new 80386 Desktop PC's floppy drive and turn it on.

You hit "ESC" or "F2" or enter Bios setup or whatever to select "Floppy" as first boot device (Power and VOL+).

You wait until the prompt "A:\" appears (TWRP GUI is loaded).

You enter "copy c:\autoexec.bat a:\autoexec.bak" (Backup).

You WILL NOT ENTER "format c: /s /v IamAFool" (restore)

You will shut down your 80386 by pressing the special 100% energy saving power switch.

You will remove the floppy and power your PC back on and boot your MSDOS 6.22

You will insert the floppy and enter "edit a:\autoexec.bak" and see if it seems correct.

Then you might enter "fc a:\autoexec.bak c:\autoexec.bat /b" to check if it really is correct.

For the less experienced or younger people.

Imagine you have a bootable USB stick with your homebrew Winbuilder WinPE4.0x64 on it (Ext. SDCard).

You insert it into your brand new Core i7 or Haswell Desktop PC's USB3.0 port running Windows8.1x64 and turn it on.

You hit "ESC" or "F2" or whatever to enter the boot selection menu and choose "USB-Disk" (Power and VOL+).

You wait until the WinPE desktop appears (TWRP GUI is loaded).

You run ImageX or GImagex and create WIM files of your HDD partitions and store them on your stick - where I assume that your stick is large enaugh - or via network on your NAS (Backup).

You WILL NOT use ImageX to apply previously built WIM files to your HDD (restore)

You will shut down your PC by pressing start --> shutdown knowing that it still consumes power then.

You will remove the stick and power your PC back on and boot your OS.

You will reinsert the stick and mount the WIM files to any subdirectory in your working folder.

Then you check if that subdirectory contains the same things and all of them that should be there after running such a full backup.

Please understand this as a joke - but with a real background.

I sure don't want to bother you. This is just meant to clear things up :D

Go ahead guys...

• Upvote 3

Whilst I appreciate everything you are doing. I for one am reluctant to try any form of recovery flash which does not have XDA backing. That said your time and effort is invaluable. Thanks.

The way he asked us to test it doesn't flash anything... It just runs the recovery directly from Sd card...

Enviado de meu POMP_W99 usando Tapatalk

Hello guys!

Great News... I have tested it and everything seems to be working great!! (V1 tablet)

Made a complete backup... No errors... took 544 secs to complete...

It's really promising!!!

All the menus and buttons seems to be working fine... The touch is great too...

The recovery seems to be 100% functional, but we need more tests to actually confirm that...

Only one thing I have noticed is that there's a considerable difference of size from the stock recovery (8.7MB) and this custom twrp recovery (10.9MB)... So, before we actually flash this to the tablet (when it's fully tested and confirmed working), we should confirm that the recovery partition in the tablet have enough space do store this custom recovery, cause if we flash a file bigger than the partition, It could brick the tab (experience from MTK devices)...

I will try to upload some photos!!

Here is the vídeo (sorry bad English and no edit):

TWRP recovery for ONDA V975M Beta (By SciBee): http://youtu.be/M--1s-1Tyfo

abadevup.jpgna6u9uju.jpg

uhu8y4eb.jpg

qa7ytega.jpg

• Upvote 4

Thank you eteles! You are my hero of the day as you were the first to give it a try. :wub:

The partition size should be ok for twice the size of my recovery. If you take a look at your pics you see that the system detected 32MB space.

If your tab is rooted you can doublecheck that. Run your "normal" Rozak, connect the tab to PC and ADB then:

adb shell
cat /proc/partitions

This should deliver

7        1      55125 loop1
   7        2      13545 loop2
 250        0     262144 cache
 250        1      32768 logo
 250        2      32768 recovery
 250        3      32768 misc
 250        4      32768 boot
 250        5    1048576 system
 250        6    4194304 data
 250        7   22970368 media
 179        0   30760960 mmcblk0
 179        1   30740377 mmcblk0p1
 254        0      55125 dm-0
 254        1      13545 dm-1

If you are running Rozak's 4GB data version.

While the recovery is running you can save the logfile.

Either goto "Advanced" --> "Copy Log to SD" and later on read it at your PC.

Or "adb pull /tmp/recovery.log" while USB is connected to PC.

But I have a feeling that cache is not correctly detected. You should see 256MB cache, but your pic shows only 1MB. My system currently shows 0MB?!?

If I correctly remember it, the cache should not be backed up anyway, but I'm not sure.

If anybody can confirm this I'll simply remove it from the mounts.

Edit: Checked data backup. Partition is mounted correctly. TWRP just shows the space to be backed up. You had 1MB data on it; my cache was empty. So no need to change anything here.

• Upvote 1

I have uploaded a video (no editing and bad English) on the topic with the pictures!

SciBee... It's I the one that have to thank you for your great effort!

Sorry, but I didn't know how to copy the logs from recovery and now I already have erased the recovery sdcard since It's not mine to use (it was borrowed)...

Don't think cache should be a problem... Just really wanted to know if the backup I made is working, but have no courage to test... =)

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot for that video. Gives a good impression and maybe we can gain more testers this way.

But I have the impression that watching the video puts heavy load on the site hoster. I could only watch it after copying the video's URL to a browser window and loading it directly from youtube...

Do not restore the backup yet!

Let's wait for more testers and hopefully we will find the bugs in advance to the first real restore process. I will do that myself then.

BTW: If you go to Settings --> Screen you can disable that annoying auto-screen-off. It's activated by default.

• Upvote 2