Onda Forum
Gearbest $111 OFF Over $111.11  promotion
$111 OFF Over $111.11
Sun

Overheating\Thermal Problem

HI! I Own a Onda V919 3G Air 64Gb Dual OS (win 8.1\Andriod 4.4) for about 3 weeks. Unfortunately i´m having an overheating problem. If i´m using it for 30min, or so, it blocks\freezes and appears a message saying thermal overheating. I can  can even notice that it really is hot. Is there any solution for this problem? Any help is welcome. Thanks!

HI! I Own a Onda V919 3G Air 64Gb Dual OS (win 8.1\Andriod 4.4) for about 3 weeks. Unfortunately i´m having an overheating problem. If i´m using it for 30min, or so, it blocks\freezes and appears a message saying thermal overheating. I can  can even notice that it really is hot. Is there any solution for this problem? Any help is welcome. Thanks!

The warning popup problem is caused by Onda configuring a battery thermal sensor alert for around 48-54C and it easily reaches this when doing anything power intensive.

You need root access. You need to edit the file named thermal_sensor_config.xml within /system/etc. It is fairly self explanatory. Look for the battery section. I set Normal, Alert, and Warning temp levels to 68C, the same as the critical temp. Make a backup of the file before editing. 

If your tablet explodes it's not my fault. I haven't had any problems for over a month though.

Edited by swaaye

I've determined some new things about the poor cooling in the V919.

The default sensor settings cause it to throttle quickly but you will still get temp warnings. There are several sensors. But tuning the sensor trip points is pointless because the tablet will throttle very quickly while rendering 3D. The cooling is very limited. The Intel SOC hits 80C and then throttles, and performance becomes very poor.

You can dramatically improve the cooling pretty easily however. You can install thermal pads over the Intel SOC and its RAM chip and transfer heat to the casing. These chips are under a steel cage in the tablet. Just put pads over the two hot spots.  The tablet casing is metal so takes the heat well. You need  1.5mm thermal pads. 

Edited by swaaye
  • Upvote 1

On 25 Φεβρουαρίου 2016 at 10:07 PM, swaaye said:

I've determined some new things about the poor cooling in the V919.

The default sensor settings cause it to throttle quickly but you will still get temp warnings. There are several sensors. But tuning the sensor trip points is pointless because the tablet will throttle very quickly while rendering 3D. The cooling is very limited. The Intel SOC hits 80C and then throttles, and performance becomes very poor.

You can dramatically improve the cooling pretty easily however. You can install thermal pads over the Intel SOC and its RAM chip and transfer heat to the casing. These chips are under a steel cage in the tablet. Just put pads over the two hot spots.  The tablet casing is metal so takes the heat well. You need  1.5mm thermal pads. 

Hello, I have the same problem and it's very annoying. Can you (or anybody) please describe HOW we can install those "thermal pads"?

is it something that needs to be installed by opening the case of the tablet of outside? Sorry if this is a stupid question. If this involves a case opening do you know if there is a "how to" video describing the opening? 

Regards

Swaaye, thanks for thermal pad suggestion.

It worked great for me.

My tablet was reaching to 55-60 degrees in 30 minutes of heavy work, I applied 1 mm 3m thermal pad (1.5 mm deformed the screen a bit, I replaced it to 1 mm).

It cost 5 us dollars.

Now after heavy use, max degree is 45-48.. Average is 35-42.. And never experienced thermal shutdown after applying the pads.

Thank you very much.

Hello, i have problem with thermal overheating and i see on this forum ,how resolved this problem.But, where thermal pad stay?Please,pictures, thank you very much for help

While I do not by any means claim to be an expert in Linux, Android or anything else, I have found a solution to not being able correct the thermal shutdown problem without root access.  It should be noted that my solution assumes a basic knowledge of Linux. 

Problem: Can't edit the file "thermal_sensor_config.xml" on Onda V919AIR Black Gold Edition 32GB DualOS tablet, firmware 20151014_ V1.0.1_V7,  because don't have root access.

Solution: Download from Onda's site the original Android 4.4.4 ROM.  Extract from the archives the "system.img" files and using a Linux computer, convert the "system.img" from the to a ext4 image named "system.raw.img", mount system.raw.img to a directory and edit the "thermal_sensor_config.xml" in it's mounted location.  Then, re-convert "system.raw.img" to an android image named "system.img"  Create a USB SD Disc that contains the manufacturer's original files overwriting the original "system.img" files with the newly edited "system.img".  Use that USB SD Disc to write a new Android 4.4.4 OS to the tablet.

• Pros:  In testing, seems to correct thermal sensor problem and maintains dual boot capability.
  • Cons:  No root access and wipes out Windows partition.

Historical and Important Information: During my several and varied attempts to correct the problem, I attempted to upgrade using an Android 5.1 ROM found on either Onda's site or the XDA Developer's website.  The attempt failed and I thought I had bricked my tablet.  I kept working at it and eventually discovered on this site the stock Android 4.4.4 DualOS ROM which I reinstalled it on my tablet.  However, that ROM wiped out, erased, my  Windows 10 partition.  I used that ROM here because it is only one of two I have found that works on Onda V919AIR Black Gold Edition 32GB DualOS tablet, firmware 20151014_ V1.0.1_V7 tablet.  Both will erase all data and wipe out Windows 1O!  The other ROM I mentioned, which I also found on this site, is a RemixOS ROM.  To date, I have not found for this tablet either an Android 5.x (or greater) ROM or Windows 10 installation files with instructions that work.  As a result, I now have a dual boot menu with no Windows option and no Windows 10 partition. Needless to say, Onda support for this product is very much lacking, well written English documentation is virtually non-existent and suggestions are welcome.  Corrections and additions may be coming as I continue to document the process. Now for my "solution":

Items and Software Required:

1. A computer with Linux.  I used Lubuntu 16.04 64-Bit, a version of Linux Ubuntu.
  2. ANDROID_IMG_REPACK_TOOLS.  They can be found at "https://github.com/ASdev/android_img_repack_tools".

Here is a list of their contents:

• mkbootfs
  • simg2simg
  • make_ext4fs
  • mkbootimg
  • ext2simg
  • simg2img
  • img2simg
  • sgs4ext4fs

3. The file containing the original Onda V919AIR Black Gold Edition 32GB dual system firmware 20151014_ V1.0.1_V7 Andrews base system ROM.

4. 1 USB SD Card (2GB or larger)

5. 1 USB Hub with not less than two ports.

6. 1 USB OTG dongle.

7. 1 USB keyboard

Section 1: How To Edit The thermal_sensor_config.xml file

1. Boot to the Ubuntu partition on a desktop or laptop computer
  2. Open a terminal prompt with root privileges.
  3. Type the command "mkdir /OndaRom".  This will create a temporary directory that will contain the uncompressed contents of the file "Onda V919AIR Black Gold Edition 32GB dual system firmware 20151014_ V1.0.1_V7.rar" once it is decompressed (extracted, UN-archived).
  4. Decompress (extract, Un-archive) the contents of the V7 stock ROM rar file to the temporary directory; I extracted them to "OndaROM".
  5. Type the command "mkdir /Working".  This will create a second temporary directory called "Working".
  6. Type the command "cd /OndaROM" to change directory to the where you extracted the contents of the file "Onda V919AIR Black Gold Edition 32GB dual system firmware 20151014_ V1.0.1_V7.rar".
  7. Copy file system.img to the "Working" directory.
  8. Change to the "Working" directory.
  9. Type the command "simg2img system.img system.raw.img".  This will convert system.img to system.raw.img.  Note: The file system.img is in android format, this process creates a copy that is in ext4 format.  Ext4 files can be mounted by Linux allowing you to browse and edit their contents.
  10. Type the command "mkdir /mnt/system".   This will create a directory called /mnt/system. Note: This directory will be the mount point for the file system.raw.img.
  11. Type the command "mount -t ext4 -o loop system.raw.img /mnt/system" to mount system.raw.img to the mount point /mnt/system.
  12. Type the command "cd /mnt/system" to navigate to the mount point /mnt/system.  If you use a graphical file explorer like Nautilus, you should be able to see the files the contents of the file "system.raw.img".  This is where a root user will be able to add, delete, and modify them the contents of the "system.raw.img" file.
  13. The file "thermal_sensor_config.xml is located in the "/mnt/system/etc".  Edit the file thermal_sensor_config.xml with a text editor.  Note: I used gedit and, being conservative, I set the sensor values in the battery section to 65000 so I would still get warnings in the event the tablet overheated and was about to shut down.  (See the example in Appendix 1 at bottom of this post.)
  14. Save the file.
  15. Exit the text editor.
  16. Navigate back to the directory "Working".
  17. So you don't overwrite the file in the next step, rename the extracted system.img to system.original.img.
  18. To create a new "system.img" in android format, type the command "img2simg system.raw.img system.img".  You will know you were successful if the file size of the new "system.img" is the same as the file "system.original.img".
  19. Copy the newly created system.img into "OndaROM" directory, overwriting the original system.img file located there.

Section 2: Preparing the USB SD Disc

1. Insert a USB SD Disc into your computer. 
  2. Format the USB SD Disc FAT32.
  3. Label the USB SD Disc "ANDROID".
  4. Copy all the files from the directory "OndaROM" to the USB SD Disc.
  5. Un-mount the USB SD Disc.
  6. Remove the USB SD Disc from your computer

Section 3: Preparing the Tablet for ROM update.

1. Shutdown the tablet.
  2. Plug the USB OTG Dongle into the tablet's USB port.
  3. Plug the USB Hub's cable to the USB OTG Dongle.
  4. Insert the USB SD Disc in the first USB port on the USB Hub.  Note: The first USB port on a USB Hub is usually the one closest to the USB Hub's cable.
  5. Insert the USB Keyboard connector into the second port on the USB Hub.

Section 4: Updating the Tablet's ROM

1. Power on the tablet and immediately begin pressing F7 on the USB Keyboard; the AMI BIOS boot menu should appear.
  2. Using the USB Keyboard's "UP" and "Down" arrow keys, move the cursor to the menu item labeled "UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell".
  3. Depress the ENTER key one time.  The tablet should boot from the "UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell" and will eventually reach a point where it should says something like "Press enter to run Startup.nsh".
  4. Press ENTER; watch and wait for the reboot.

Appendix 1: Example of the Battery sensor section located in the file thermal_sensor_config.xml.

<Zone>
       <ZoneID>3</ZoneID>
       <ZoneName>Battery</ZoneName>
       <SupportsUEvent>0</SupportsUEvent>
       <DebounceInterval>2000</DebounceInterval>
       <PollDelay>
              <DelayTOff>30000</DelayTOff>
              <DelayNormal>30000</DelayNormal>
              <DelayWarning>30000</DelayWarning>
              <DelayAlert>30000</DelayAlert>
              <DelayCritical>30000</DelayCritical>
       </PollDelay>
       <Sensor>
              <SensorID>4</SensorID>
              <SensorName>byt_battery</SensorName>
              <SensorPath>auto</SensorPath>
              <InputTemp>temp</InputTemp>
              <LowTemp>trip_point_0_temp</LowTemp>
              <HighTemp>trip_point_1_temp</HighTemp>
              <Threshold>
                <ThresholdTOff>0</ThresholdTOff>
                <ThresholdNormal>65000</ThresholdNormal>
                <ThresholdWarning>65000</ThresholdWarning>
                <ThresholdAlert>65000</ThresholdAlert>
                <ThresholdCritical>68000</ThresholdCritical>
              </Threshold>
       </Sensor>
  </Zone>

Final note:  I have tried desperately to find an Windows based method to do all this.  I have gotten as far as being able to convert the system.img to a system.raw.img (ext4 file) using a Windows port of simg2img and extracted the ext4 files into a directory using, among other things, the program ext2explorer.  Where I get stuck is compressing the files from the directory after I have edited them back into an img file.  I'm still working on it.

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2016 at 4:05 AM, swaaye said:

The warning popup problem is caused by Onda configuring a battery thermal sensor alert for around 48-54C and it easily reaches this when doing anything power intensive.

You need root access. You need to edit the file named thermal_sensor_config.xml within /system/etc. It is fairly self explanatory. Look for the battery section. I set Normal, Alert, and Warning temp levels to 68C, the same as the critical temp. Make a backup of the file before editing. 

If your tablet explodes it's not my fault. I haven't had any problems for over a month though.

is it same for onda v820w? but i am not able to find the thermal file as you mention above..... anyone know where to find the file for V820W dualOS set??  many thanks